Sunday, December 04, 2005

Speaking Like a Native

When I spent my “year” in Israel after high school, I said to myself that I would not care how I sounded or what people thought of me when speaking Hebrew. That worked fairly well for me over the years: Though my accent is horrendous, my vocabulary and conjugation are more than passable. Most adults are able to see past the poor accent and the gender-specific mistakes that I make on a regular basis and are able to judge me by the content of my words not their style.

Not so with Israeli teens.

I figured that they would not “see past the poor accent and the gender-specific mistakes.....” I assumed they would see only the poor accent and gender-specific mistakes. So I addressed it head-on in my first day of teaching. After introducing myself, I mentioned that if they pay attention very, very carefully, they’d notice a slight accent [chuckles]. I said that it was indeed true. I am not from here; I’m from Haifa [more chuckles].

For the most part it worked. They knew that I didn’t take myself too seriously and that language was not (or should not) be a barrier to our teacher-student relationship. Since then, I most certainly make mistakes (I’ll post some of the most egregious errors in a future post). But we have created a learning relationship where I learn from them and they learn from me. When there is a great word that they teach me, I take out my pocket-sized Kohinor notebook and write it down during class.

Once in a while, I used to get a jab in the hallways. A “boker tov” from me might have received a heavily accented “bokerrrr tow-vvvv!” I decided to address that head on too. When a child honed in on my accent, I looked him straight in the eye and said, very gently, that if he had any advice on how to speak, I would appreciate it if he told me directly and not behind my back. I had, after all, feelings too! It sounds cliché, but he is one of my closest students today!

2 Comments:

Blogger T.Y.I.I. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 05, 2005  
Blogger T.Y.I.I. said...

My kids have settled in very, very nicely from a social perspective (not unimportant!), but they have been pretty quiet when it comes to Hebrew conversations. We know that it takes time and we're giving them all the space they need to feel comfortable and to acclimate. It has been, after all, only 3 months since we landed!

Still, I hope they, like your kids, don't have the "hangups" that you describe. It's harder for us than for them!

December 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home