Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Been There, Done That

[One of the luxuries of blogging is that you can throw things "out there" even if you're not 100% sure how you feel about them or even if you're not 100% sure you're correct. This post is one of those kinds of posts. Still, if I were 100% sure that I was not correct, I wouldn't post this either...!]

Living in a community with a lot of olim, and living in a time in Jewish history where there are a lot of olim in Israel, has a tremendous amount of advantages. Everywhere we turn, there are people who have been what we are going through. Problem with the Misrad Hapnim? No problem. When we came... so we did...." or "Getting a credit card? I remember when.... so we...."

The assistance, the advice, the tips are almost always helpful.

But somewhere, deep down, I get the feeling that people who have "been there, done that" have a tacit attitude of "You'll get through it. So did we." or "We made it through that terrible time when.... so will you."

Talking with native Israelis, on the other hand, while they cannot give the advice of an Oleh, they can - and usually do - give a sense of encouragement that recent immigrants take for granted. Speaking with native Israelis is often like talking to a personal cheerleading squad. "Wow. I can't believe you came to Israel! I don't think I could do that if I were not born in Israel!" "You did an amazing thing..."

It's awkward to admit, but I must say, it really really helps.

I am embarrassingly reminded of a Seinfeld episode where Jerry does some small favor for a Pakistani restaurant owner and we here the voice in his head say something like, "Yes. I am a good person".

I guess my family and I need more of that cheerleading than we expected. I think we need to constantly surround ourselves with both kinds of people: The olim, for practical support and role modeling (Yes, we can do it!) and the native Israelis for the other kind of support that my fellow anglos cannot give.

That really helps.

Oh well... I am human.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've done something amazing! May many people learn from your experience.

February 23, 2006  
Blogger T.Y.I.I. said...

Thanks for the encouragement. As I said, it really helps. And, I suspect I'm not alone.

February 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home