Tuesday, December 20, 2005

HaRav Dov Zinger

I had the opportunity to meet Harav Dov Zinger and to hear him speak about his philosophy as an educator. Rav Zinger (or, as his students affectionately call him, Rav Dov) is the Rosh Yeshiva of Mekor Chaim, a very unique high school for boys in Kfar Etzion.

There is a lot to say about the school and their philosophy... but this is not the place. I cannot say that I agree with everything he said or with everything they do. And, even regarding those things about which I did agree, I cannot say that they would apply in every school. (His school, for example, accepts only 10% of the 500+ applicants that he receives every year!)

A few examples: his school has virtually no dress code (earrings, long hair, etc. are allowed), no supervisors on exams (all tests - including the entrance exam! - are given on the honor system) and attendance is rarely taken in the classrooms or the Beit Midrash.

Whether I agree or disagree and whether these rules are applicable to other schools and environments, and what are the long-term effects of these and other ideas are all important questions.

But there is one thing that resonated with me: when I asked him why he doesn't have a dress code, he responded,

"I don't notice their clothes or their hair. It's not something I pay attention to.... When you talk about irrelevant things, you become irrelevant. Aside from major heart-to-heart conversations, how long do you speak with each student in a week? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? If I only have 5 or 10 minutes to talk to a student, why would I waste the time talking about irrelevant, external things? Why not spend the time talking about real, important, relevant things?"

Again, I am not sure that I can agree with everything that he says. I think there is a value in the way we dress and the way we present ourselves. But I also certainly appreciate the need for, and the value in, talking about real issues with my students and, as much as possible, leaving "irrelevant" things for another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home