Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Admissions

We're in the middle now of the admissions process for high school. Many religious high schools begin in the 7th grade. That means that 6th graders need to take entrance exams, have interviews, visits to schools, etc. It also means, therefore, that a number of 6th graders are going to be receiving rejection letters in the near future.

That is an incredible amount of pressure for an 11 or 12 year old. (I think it's an incredible amount of pressure for an 8th grader too. But I guess I'm a bit more used to that.) I don't think this is an Israeli-vs.non-Israeli issue; from what I have seen so far, Israeli 6th graders are just as nervous (petrified?) as non-Israeli 6th graders.

When I interview 6th graders for entrance to our school, I try to make the interview process as user-frendly as possible. Still, there must be a better way.

1 Comments:

Blogger T.Y.I.I. said...

Where I grew up, it was basically like that too. There are so many advantages to that kind of system. As I said, even 8th graders find the process nerve-wracking and scary. My experience, in the New York area and now in the Jerusalem area, is that it is a buyer's market..... hence the admissions mess!

December 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home