Monday, December 05, 2005

Sundays

I never worked in a school in the United States that had school on Sundays. Working on Sundays has been one of the more difficult components of my transition in Israel. I know that a number of olim feel the loss of Sundays so I guess there is nothing new here. It’s not terrible, but the family time, the relatively-relaxing time, the sleeping-late, these are all things which I miss. Many people in Israel get Fridays off. I teach on Fridays but I do get another day off during the week and that certainly is welcome! (The downside, though, is that my children have school and my wife works on the day that I have off. Great for getting work done, rotten for spending time with my family!)

In addition to all that, though, there is another part to working on Sundays. Preparation! Teaching on Sunday means preparing on Motzei Shabbat. Again, not terrible, but our Saturday nights are much different now that I need to wake up at 6:00 AM and teach the next day. Once the day gets going, it’s hard to remember that it’s Sunday... but on Saturday night and Sunday at 6:00 AM, it’s hard to forget!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home