Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Sports in Israel

I'm not a huge sports fan, but I do like to play an occasional game of basketball or baseball (you can take a guy out of America but you can't...).

An interesting thing has been happening in our school. The Yeshiva in which I work is - like many schools in Israel - made up of a United Nations-like range of students. Israelis, Americans, Englishmen, South Africans, Ethiopians, Australians, Canadians, Russians, Iraqis, Moroccans... all work, play, study, and pray together in our school. That, in itself, is amazing.

Sports, though, is the great equalizer. To see all these kinds of boys playing soccer together, or basketball, or even American football, is simply incredible. It's strange that that would bring out in me feelings of Returning of the Exiles... but it does. They are all Jews, playing on Jewish soil, talking a common language.... there are no words.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand exactly what you mean about seeing a slice of K'lal Yisrael playing sports together and having images of Returning of the Exiles. Hardly strange- to me anyway- maybe it's a foreshadowing and/or maybe it's just seeing the playing field of life on another plane- one that can be seen with eyes that see beyond this dimension.

February 24, 2006  
Blogger T.Y.I.I. said...

I guess it reminds us of Zechariah 8:5 - a vision of the ingathering of the exiles is children playing together in the street!

As you say, there is more than one dimension operating here!

February 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home