Sunday, May 14, 2006

Lag Ba’Omer 5766

Not a lengthy nor original post. But an observation nonetheless:

Lag Ba’Omer in Israel, (at least the part that I see as a teacher, a father, and a neighbor) is one big pyromaniac’s dream come true. For the last few weeks, it is a daily occurrence to see child after child shlepping, dragging, hauling, towing, pulling, pushing, lugging, tugging, carrying, carting, lifting, and anything else you can imagine anything that is both a) not bolted into the ground and b) anything that is flammable. You see piles of firewood, planks, sticks, boards, and whatever else on people’s porches, backyards, and driveways.

I don’t get it.

On four separate occasions I saw a number of kids trying to get some kind of tree (not a branch, not “firewood”... a tree) down the street. Twice I tried to stop and help them shlep it with my minivan (why not be an accomplice to minors burning something?) and the tree was too big! I wish I was exaggerating.

This whole thing reminds me of Purim and getting drunk. In other words, sure there is a nice idea of bonfires on Lag BaOmer (just as there are certain sources to getting tipsy in a controlled, supervised way). But this takes it to an entirely new level.

Am I getting old or is this crazy?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"not a lengthy nor original post."

life filtered through our eyes makes our observations original.

"am i getting old or is this crazy?"

don't know, but do think you seem to be 'an old soul'.

May 15, 2006  
Blogger T.Y.I.I. said...

Anonymous: Interesting thoughts. But I must say that I do not understand the second question "do think you seem to be 'an old soul'."

Thanks for reading.

May 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think anonymous means that you seem so wise for someone who does not seem to be too advanced in years.

May 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm sorry. i wasn't clear; i was writing quickly and in a kind-of-shorthand. let me 'unbotch' it, hopefully.

it would have been more accurately expressed had i said,"i don't know, but i do think you seem to be an 'old soul'." i have started reading your blog (you're welcome!!), and what i meant by 'old soul' is that from your writings, you seem to be sensitive, deep, and wise. I meant 'old soul' as a compliment and i was just having fun expressing the compliment by turning the word old, ("am I getting old . . .?), this way.

i hope the 'smoke' has now cleared.

May 16, 2006  
Blogger T.Y.I.I. said...

Sorry for not "getting it." I get it now and I'm flattered. Thanks to you and to Efrat for the compliment and for reading.

May 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home