Thursday, December 29, 2005

What's in a Name?

First, thank you Grovepark for your compliments. As I mention below, I really write for myself. But knowing you also get something out of my experience means a lot to me.

In response to your question, "Can you tell me what 'Moreh-Derech' actually means?".... here goes.

Separately, "Moreh" means, "One who shows" and "Derech" means a road or a path. Together, therefore, the two words are used in modern Hebrew to mean "a guide, especially for trips, one who shows the path."

I intended the blog to be used first for myself, to help me find the way through the experience of moving to Israel as a husband, a father and a teacher.

Secondly, I thought the blog might be of assistance in whatever small way, to other people who have moved or who are thinking of moving to Israel and who work in education.

But I chose the name because I also like the meaning of the two words separately as well. The word "moreh" is also the word for teacher... "one who shows." It does not mean, "one who stuffs with information" or even "one who is stuffed with information." Rather, one who shows. That has always had special meaning for me because it implies that a teacher is there as a guide, one who can hold hands down the path of knowledge and growth walking together, but never dragging and never being dragged.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL description of what a moreh is, or at least can be

December 30, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the explanation. Your students are lucky to have you as their teacher.

January 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home