Thursday, January 05, 2006

Teaching in the Gray

The crisis surrounding Ariel Sharon changes minute to minute. At 6:45 this morning, they said he was coming out of surgery and was stable. At 9:30 they said he was back in surgery and is in critical condition.

As I mentioned in the last post, I look at a lot of things from the perspective of my students. Their reaction - like most teenagers anywhere in the world about most topics in the world - has been mostly black or white. I've heard, "He's an evil man because of the Disengagement therefore I cannot pray for his recovery." But I've also seen students a bit shaken by the news.

I think our job as educators, especially in Israel where there is so much black and white, is to teach in the gray. To share our own uncertainties and questions with our students and to welcome them into a world where not all is cut and dry.

I did just that in my class today. I shared with them the fact that I too have anger against the prime minister for his handling of the hitnatkut (disengagement) both before and after. (Example: There are still close to 2,000 people from Gush Katif still homeless!)

On the other hand, Arik Sharon is a Jewish leader who has served his country and his people in every single war and military operation since the founding of the State! He has dedicated his liife to the service of Medinat Yisrael. While I do not agree with everything he does and with everything he stands for, I did quote Rav Kook who says that when a person works to help Am Yisrael - even if it's not the way I would have done it - he is a friend of the Nation.

In the end, I left it up to them as to whether they wanted to daven for him specifically or for all cholei Yisrael. I did, however, make it abundantly clear, that to daven for his demise was, in my opinion, childish at best and barbaric at worst.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home