Monday, February 27, 2006

Wheeling and Dealing in School

Something is going on in school - and has gone on in every school in which I have taught. Students bring chocolate, lollipops, gum, sandwiches, gummy bears, cookies etc. etc. etc. and sell them. They sell them not for tzedakah (though that happen too) but for personal profit.

And I really do not know how I feel about it.

On the one hand, these young entrepreneurs are working hard, learning the lessons of saving, planning, marketing, budgeting, etc. etc. They are providing a "needed" service that is, hopefully honest and "straight."

On the other hand, in our school in particular, they are taking money away from a person who is literally in business to feed his family.
[UPDATE: The makolet owner called for a meeting with us about how upset he is about these young businessmen. We decided to issue a statement to them and to prohibit it.]

Secondly, I don't feel so comfortable having students profiting from their friends. I suppose one could argue that anyone who is in business does that either directly or indirectly.... but must the kids learn that and do that so young?

Lastly, there is the general money-hungry attitude that I just don't feel so comfortable with. Again, we all know money is important and necessary. More than that, the Torah in no way shuns a person who seeks money or needs money. An ascetic lifestyle is antithetical to the Torah. But there is a flipside too: The Torah and the Midrash view negatively one who runs after money, one who views money as a goal not a means. Most children do not seem to be able to balance between the need for money and the desire for money. Perhaps this gives us a chance to educate them. Perhaps not.

So, I am stuck. Is it a good thing? A bad thing? Both? On a case-by-case basis I talk to the kids, I reason with them, once in a while I prohibit it. But there are no hard and fast rules. Just living in the gray.

5 Comments:

Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

I know where you've taught. You've done great work.

March 01, 2006  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

In elementary school, I got a hold (through my older brother who was doing this) of boxes of gum to sell. Kids stole it all. It was horrible.

March 01, 2006  
Blogger T.Y.I.I. said...

See my update. The owner of the makolet near the school complained to us that these students were taking away his business. It was a hard conversation. We've prohibited the selling.

As you can tell from the post, I'm a bit against it anyway so this just made it easier.

hajew: I'm not sure how to react. Thanks for the compliment but I hope to post soon about anonymity. If my cover has been blown..... oh well.

March 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to hajew- labriyut!

March 02, 2006  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Anonymous, thank you for the labriyut. M.D, Your secret is safe with me.

March 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home