Sunday, March 12, 2006

Anonymity

During the Purim season, where wearing masks is the thing to do, I thought I'd talk about the mask I wear on this blog.

Only two people in the world (besides me) know who I am. That is, only two people know that I am the one who writes this blog. One is my wife. The other is a dear friend who is also a teacher, thinker and advisor to me for the last many years. (In a recent post to this blog, "hajew" claimed to know me. I don't know. Oh well, that may make 3).

This friend asked if I was interested in publicizing this blog. I thought to myself: it might be interesting to have 100, 1,000, 10,000 hits a day reading my words, learning from them, helping them in their classrooms, or in Israel, or both..... (who am I kidding....)?

But my answer for now is: The blog is for me. I like the fact that I can write anonymously and freely without people that I know reading it. I like using this blog as a diary, an almost private diary. To keep track of my goings on.... for me. I like the fact that I can refer to teachers or students and not worry that someone will know who I am talking about. That freedom allows me to observe and record in an almost limitless way.

So, my answer to my friend: "No thank you. I want it to be private."

He asked me, "If you want it to be private, why write a blog at all? Just keep a real diary!"

A good question.

I've never kept a diary in my life. I've tried twice that I can remember but neither of them lasted too long. I think the fact that some people read this blog - not too many, but a few... once in a while... sometimes... - is enough of an impetus for me to keep writing. It helps me that some people read it but it also helps me that not too many people read it. For now, I'm happy with the balance.

That's the answer for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home