Monday, March 20, 2006

Purim 5766

It’s been almost a week since Purim and things have been so hectic that I haven’t had a chance to post in a while.

Purim in Israel (or at least the little part of Israel that I saw), was absolutely great. I suppose in some ways it was similar to Purim in a very-Jewish city outside of Israel (Brooklyn? Monsey? Teaneck?)... dressed-up kids (and many adults) everywhere you look, packed shuls, people driving and walking around delivering mishloach manot.... just a wonderful experience. Obviously, the fact that these kids and adults were in Israel was particularly spectacular. Spending the holiday celebrating the Jewish victory against yet another enemy bent on our destruction in Israel... it’s hard to describe.

When I had a moment to breath, I tried to do just that: to breath and take it all in.

In many other ways, though, I think Purim here was different than in the States. I refer specifically not to Purim day itself but to the weeks leading up to Purim. As I mentioned in previous posts, the spirit of Mishenichnas Adar Marbim B’Simcha permeated schools, newspapers, community events, shul calendars. Almost every day of Adar leading up to Purim you could see a few people in costume, shiurim about Purim, carnivals, tzedakah opportunities, Shabbat programs, etc. etc. etc. It was so easy to feel the holiday coming and the simcha that accompanies it.

Again, when I had a moment to breath, (and who has time to breath on a day-to-day basis?) I tried to do just that: to breath and appreciate it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ShloimeTas: What a great feeling it must have been to experience Purim in Israel. I heard that some people get to double dip by going to Yerushalayim on our Shushan Purim day. Remember to keep on breathing because "Avirah D'Eretz Yisrael Machkim". (Even though you sound quite wise already).

March 21, 2006  
Blogger T.Y.I.I. said...

Thanks so much for the wonderful encouragement.

Libby Bamizrach - your screen name says it all.

tuesdaywishes - as always, thanks.

If you've seen previos posts, you know that I am mostly happy... but every piece of cheerleading helps!

March 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home