Sunday, June 18, 2006

Getting Used to Reality (ii)

I have written before of things that I do not want to get used to. I wrote there:
I am trying not to become insensitive to my reality, especially when my reality is a dream.
Along those lines, here are 10 more things I'd like not to get used to.....
  1. My wife's support in general and about our aliyah in particular (as I wrote before, she is in America now!)
  2. Taxi drivers who do not appear to be shomer Shabbat (though looks are deceiving) wishing me a "Shabbat Shalom" or "Shavua Tov."
  3. Doing shmira (guard duty) in shul and in the city/village where we live and remembering why there is a need in the first place to do shmira (guard duty) in shul and in the city/village where we live.
  4. Reading the Chumash or the Navi about cities in Israel and knowing where they are and/or having visited their recently.
  5. Old pictures or videos of the early chalutzim in their quest to build the Land of Israel while fighting off Arabs, Turks, and malaria.
  6. Seeing a Jewish soldier with Hebrew "Tza'hal" on the uniform. (I served in the I.D.F. when I was younger and will be called up to reserve duty early next year (they have not called me this year!) and I sometimes still get emotional when I see a soldier!)
  7. Seeing an Ethiopian soldier (what an incredible realization of kibbutz galiyot in one snapshot!).
  8. Learning Torah in Hebrew (Lashon Hakodesh!)
  9. Talking Hebrew (Lashon Hakodesh!)
  10. Being able to visit the Kotel (Western Wall) almost whenever I want.

More to follow in future posts.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you didn't mention one of my favorites....going to the doctor's office and seeing s'forim in the waiting room instead of magazines!

June 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last summer, I was in Jerusalem. On a Friday afternoon, I stopped off at a makolet to buy flowers for shabbat. The store owner was closing up, and he was giving the flowers away for free, telling everyone "shabbat shalom".

June 23, 2006  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Shabbat shalom from southern Yerushalayim!

July 14, 2006  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

sept 19, 2006

four days till Rosh HaShanah

wishing you a Ketivah VeChatimah Tovah

September 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

shloimetas - wishing you and your family a ktivah vchatimah tovah! i miss your writings and hope that you will post again when you are ready! warmest wishes for a year full of health, happiness and time to enjoy it! Libby

September 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home